Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fast Forward In Just Seconds


Children mature by the second but our perception of that growth comes in spurts and moments. I have heard some people say that it happens without noticing but it isn't true.

Tonight I sat and listened to my 11 year old son discuss strategy, weakness, strengths and other fine points of video games with a teen member of the family. As I listened to his animated discourse and deft use of vocabulary I was hit with one of those moments. The moment when you realize your child is not as young as you thought he was and you wonder when it happened.

I experience these "fast forward" moments periodically and they always take my by surprise. The little boy who struggled to find anything to say to a teenager can suddenly chat with ease and confidence.

I guess the thing that makes these moments so jolting is that you realize something has passed and you can never go back. A part of his childhood is behind him and whatever made him who he was is past. A parent is forced to rejoice over yet another step towards independence but grieve quietly for the little boy who is gone.

1 comment:

unschoolermom said...

Definitely true! I remember when Taliesin told me recently that he could not longer swing in the baby swings at the park, because those are for little kids. And very seldom does he carry a teddy bear with him anymore. The other night, he got out his old lovie to cuddle with as he slept. Brought back some good memories!

Kandy